Solve Our Puzzle
Thank you for participating in October Newsletter Puzzle. After a random drawing amongst all of our correct responses, Our October winner is Robert ‘Rocky’ Detwiler, who won a $20 gift card to Barbacoa. Congratulations Rocky!
Solve this month’s crossword puzzle! Correct answers will be entered into a drawing for this month’s prize of a $20 gift card to The Village at Meridian. Read this month’s reminders and newsletter below for clues. Good luck!
1) Sprinkler turn-off and blow-out started in October and will be completed this month. Please switch your sprinkler control box to off, or unplug by November 1st. Look for a note on your door informing you that our vendor has come by to blow out the sprinklers.
2) Remember to unhook your hoses from outside faucets. Leaving the hose attached can create an ice dam in the faucet and connecting pipe, potentially causing a split or burst pipe resulting in damage to the property. Tenants will be held responsible for any damage caused due to their neglect in removing a garden hose.
3) The leaves have been falling for several weeks now. Boise homes with a green trash cart for composting may dispose of their leaves in that cart. Additional leaves may be left at the curb on trash day in a leaf paper bag. Get your rake out and be prepared for weekly rake-ups until the snow flies! Stock up from your local hardware store or grocery store with leaf recycle bags. Follow the links below for information on Leaf Pickup in your City.
4) Have you cut back the perennials yet? Many perennial plants benefit from cutting to the ground. A generous topping of mulch will keep them toasty in winter and help feed new spring growth. Pick up some free compost from the Boise City compost program if you live in Boise. And remember, it is your responsibility to prune small shrubs. Best time is the end of October, but if you haven’t taken care of this yet, you still have a couple of weeks to take care of that as the shrubs enter their winter dormancy.
5) If you have a wood burning stove or fireplace that you used last winter, get the chimney inspected and cleaned before the onset of winter.
6) Every winter, with the first hard freeze we get calls for broken heating furnaces. In almost every case this is because the tenant has not been changing out the filters on a regular basis as they should have been. Avoid a break down and days of freezing in your home, and change your furnace filters now!
7) Keep a look out for clogged gutters when it rains. Please contact our office if you notice water spilling over the gutters, or growth sprouting from them!
If you have any maintenance concerns for your yard or home please CONTACT US! All maintenance concerns should be submitted through property meld, accessed on our website, under the Tenant Tab – Maintenance Request – Submit Work Order.
Leaf Recycling and Pickup Information
- Meridian: http://local.republicservices.com/site/idaho/Documents/Meridian/Leaf_ad_Statesman_2019_Meridian.pdf
- Eagle: https://www.cityofeagle.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=74
- City of Nampa Leaf Recycling: https://cityofnampa.us/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=841
- Nampa, Star, Caldwell: Leaves are not recycled by Republic Services, but they do pick up leaves as trash, so just put them in your trash can.
- Kuna: Does not recycle leaves, they are processed as trash. Your trash collector will take up to 5 additional bags, (paper, or plastic) placed 3 feet away from your trash can.
Beneficial Change in Terms Upcoming
RMA will be making a change in terms that will affect the Late Fee Program and online payment service in a way that will benefit you. Look for official notification with details this month. If your lease commenced in September or October of this year, this change may not affect you, therefore you will not receive a notice.
LED Lightbulbs – Safer and Cheaper!
By Athena Savoglou
Lightbulbs are something we rarely think about further than “Does it fit?” and “Does it work?” However, there is actually a lot more to consider when illuminating your abode. As a tenant, the most important thing to know is, RMA only allows LED bulbs in our rental properties – for good reason.
There are many different types of lightbulbs. The three you have probably come across most often are Compact Fluorescent (CFL), halogen (incandescent), and LED.
Firstly, CFLs are the “curly” lightbulbs. Although they were very popular in the past, they have come under scrutiny in the last few years. It has been found that CFLs contain small amounts of mercury, which if not disposed properly, may become toxic waste. Regulations require CFLs to be brought to recycling areas and never thrown in the trash. Even though the amount of mercury in one CFL bulb is not enough to harm you on its own, many CFL bulbs in your home or in landfills can be a different story for your safety and the environment.
Now that we know CFLs are out, what is the difference between halogen (incandescent) lightbulbs and LED bulbs? Well, this comes down to the amount of energy each uses. Halogen bulbs rely on gas to function, while LED bulbs use fluorescence to emit light, and contain a light-emitting diode, a two-lead semiconductor light source. All you really need to know is that halogen bulbs require WAY more energy to function, and that higher energy requirements equal higher electricity and power costs for the tenant. In fact, an LED bulb only requires 15% of the energy that a halogen bulb does to produce the same amount of light.
On top of being less energy efficient, halogen bulbs can become extremely hot and cause potential burns if touched. LED bulbs generate only a fraction of the heat and are not a burn risk.
As you can see, RMA had our tenants in mind when we decided that LED bulbs are the way to go. Who can argue with safer and cheaper?
**Please do not forget about the available Energy Savings Kit from Idaho Power! If an Energy Savings Kit has not previously been claimed for your rental, you can claim a kit free of charge. It has lots of goodies worth quite a bit of money. Find it here.
If you have any further questions, please contact Realty Management Associates at any time!
Solve our Newsletter Puzzle for the chance to win a $20 gift card to The Village at Meridian! Dine out, Movies, Village Event or buy a Christmas gift at any of the Village stores. https://www.thevillageatmeridian.com/
Read this month’s reminders and newsletter for clues. Good luck!
If you have solved the crossword puzzle, please email your answers to athena.RMA@gmail.com. All correct answers will be submitted for a drawing for the prize.